To explore strange new worlds and new civilizations...

This blog is our attempt to bring you with us in our adventure through the UK and Europe. We're not only in search of new places, but direction, path, purpose, and a broadened perspective. If you're reading this, we invite you to grow with us, to share in our experiences that will certainly help define us for the rest of our lives. Something that powerful is certainly not something we'd want you, our friends and loved ones, to miss. So please, join us. Because these days will define us forever.

So, Allons-y!


Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Inverness we hitch, and hostel.

I think the Loch Ness monster once existed, but he died trying to come into town.

Yesterday was Inverness. We arrived into town, checked into Bazpackers Hostel. Shoved our big bags in lockers, went to look around. Chatted up a Scottish fellow, found our family tartan (Campbell clan from Argyll), checked on train times to Aberdeen for tomorrow, and then proceeded to search out the Loch Ness so we could high five this legendary monster.

So we start walking, because we've been told Loch Ness is "right on the doorstep" of our hostel.

Define 'doorstep'.

4.5 miles later, Alex and I are tired of walking, and there's no end to this river in sight. Forget about the monster, I'm starting to think the actual lake is an urban legend at this point. We're hungry, the sun is setting, and it's nearing freezing temperature.

So I'm going for the gold of boldness and faith here. We saw a woman 10 minutes back walking her two black labs. Motivated by my weary feet and rumbling tummy, I gracefully approach her and ask if she's driven here. "Yes." (Check!) "Are you heading back to Inverness?" "I am." (Check two!) "Would you be so kind as to give my poor weary brother and my poor weary self a ride back to town, as we've wandered out looking for the Loch, we're tired, the sun is setting, had no idea it was such a jaunt, and we're nice and friendly and nonthreatening, and did I mention exhausted and not at all interested in walking back to town?"

(Long pause. Seriously, if I were this woman I would say 'no'. I don't trust people at all.)

"Oh, alright."

(Holla. Leujah.)

Praise the good Lord we were able to secure a ride back to the center of town. Our new friend and lifesaver recommended this delicious Italian restaurant where we had our fill of Coke, the best pizza I've ever had, an amazing brownie thing for dessert, and traditional English tea, my new favourite. We had that meal finished, paid for, and we were back in our warm hostel at least half an hour before we would  have arrived had we trudged it the entire way back. So today I am thankful for Italian food, and the good Samaritan walking her precious labs at a very opportune moment.

Yes, that's right. Yesterday we hitch-hiked. It was a baby hitch-hike, but we did it, no less.

I wrote this blog while sitting safely back inside the hostel, next to the hostel's beautiful Calico cat. We don't plan to make a habit of doing such risky things, but in this world we have but one real refuge, and it is important to remember that our fellow humans are capable of being trusted, being helpful, and being kind and generous.

“The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.”  - Samuel Jackson

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie, I've found that I've had to rely on the kindness of locals many times in my travels. My parents had to rely on some non-English-speaking gypsies in Paris, as they were led over dark hills without paths to find the nearest bus stop back to the city. The risk in those situations is high, and I would never encourage my children/family/friends to take the chance, but when you do, or when you have to, the affirmation of goodness in people can relight your mind and soul. Keep posting. I'm praying for and following both of you.

    Tammie Nuoci

    ReplyDelete